Saturday, November 29, 2008

Xaverian Work In Sierra Leone

November 28

In the morning, I went again to the Fatima Institute for a meeting with the Justice and Peace and Human Rights Commission. When I got there, I found that this meeting is postponed to Saturday afternoon at 4:00pm. With free time on my hands I was able to see some of the students individually and better understand their perspective on life in Sierra Leone today.

In the afternoon, I was taken to Binkolo, a village about 10 miles away where our Xaverian Community works. Fr. Willy Mukucha who was with me in Chicago took me there after his class at the Fatima Institute. On our way, we stopped at the newly renovated Loretto Clinic in Makeni, run by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny. The clinic now has a very fine space for its ordinary work and new space on the second floor for mental health outreach and counseling, a condition we never had to deal with to this extent in the past, but which has now become a necessity.

In Binkolo, I visited our community and parish. It is doing quite well as it rebuilds its structures and services to Sierra Leone today.

No comments: