Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Mass and Development

Sunday November 16th

In the morning, I joined Fr. Montesi and one of our seminarians to travel some 30 miles up country to a new community for Mass. This community of Kwama had been a displaced camp of Limba people who set up camp on property owned by the Archdiocese of Freetown and Bo. They asked if they could stay and are now in the process of building a stable community with good housing, schools, and a church. It was interesting to see how many similar communities are being established in the periphery of Freetown.

I had the opportunity before Mass to meet Mr. Edward Musa Anaque, the director of the Community Extension Development Association (CEDA). It is a child protection initiative providing housing, health care, and education for children at risk in this area. It is quite impressive and we had a short but in depth discussion. He will come to Kissy Dockyard tomorrow to continue our discussion.

The Mass was long and lively as usual. Fr. Montesi invited me to preach, and unprepared though I was, I gave it my all in Krio and they all enjoyed it. I did, too.

This evening I met with our 9 seminarians to share with them the work of AFJN, my reason for being here in Sierra Leone for the Restorative Justice Project, and to invite their input during the days I am here in Freetown

No comments: