Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Reconnecting With Old Friends

Saturday November 15th

At Mass in the morning I met more teachers from my past service. One, Bob Conteh, is now somehow connected with the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Sierra Leone. We briefly spoke about my reason for being here and we proceeded to schedule a meeting in Freetown on Monday. Mr. Davis was there as well, a good friend who is a local building contractor. He coordinated the building of many primary schools and churches over the years. We talked later of his involvement in the civil defense of Lungi town during the war and the dark days of 1999. He spoke of an uncompromising zeal to protect the community and our compound. And they did… at what cost to human lives, I wondered.

I had just completed my Liberian notes by mid morning when a very good friend from my early days in Kabala (1978-80) came to see me. Kelle Mansaray, a master artist whose work is on the walls of almost every Church in the Makeni Diocese. He was a young graduate of our high school in Kabala when he started out as an artist. I encouraged him and from that time to now he has been a good friend. It was so good to see him.

In the afternoon I travelled across the estuary by ferry to Freetown. I arrived in Kissy Dockyard where our Xaverian Residence is. I was met by Fr. Eugene Montesi, Fr. Vincent Munari, Fr. Carlos Loronio, and 9 Xaverian Students from Sierra Lone who live together at our Kissy Dockyard community. This is the place where I lived from 1980 to 1984 while I was in charge of the primary schools. In the evening I met with Emmanuel Roberts, my coordinator for the Sierra Leone visits to Freetown and Kenema. We are set to go on Monday!

No comments: