Monday, November 10, 2008

Arrival in Liberia

November 9th

Today is my first full day in Monrovia. Monsignor Andrew Karnley, the administrator of the Archdiocese of Monrovia was at the airport to meet me last night. We had met in DC some months ago and we have become fast friends. Once home and after a meal, we talked into the night about shared concerns. He is quite intrigued by our restorative justice project. This morning I accompanied him to Dolo town, a community near the Firestone Plantation. Mary the Mother of Jesus Parish was dedicating its church building. From the stations of the cross (which seemed to be made by an artist I knew in Sierra Leone) to the music and joy of the congregation, I felt I was home. Monsignor gave me the chance to share with the people the purpose of my visit at the end of the service. Restoration is taking time. Even at this service we welcomed returnees from Ghana who are just now coming home after years of seeking refuge across the border.

No comments: