Monday, December 1, 2008

Final Full Day in Sierra Leone

Monday December 1

This is my last day here in Sierra Leone. In the morning, I was able to visit with one of my old teachers from Kabala who is now teaching here in Makeni. There was an interlude from 1992 to 2003 where he served in the Sierra Leone military. We were able to talk a bit about those years and his work. It was an interesting insight to the feelings of the army pre-coup of 1997, post war, and up to the present.

In the late morning I taped some reflections for Radio Maria programming - five minute notes that can be aired from time to time as special spots.

In the afternoon I was able to give input to my Xaverian Community which today begins a three-day assembly, an annual affair where they review their work, evaluate it, and propose priorities for the future. My contribution will be on our work at AFJN and in particular this Restorative Justice Project.

My hope is that the foundation of their outreach in this post war country will be related to our work in restorative justice. The more I go around and listen to what works on the ground, the more I see the leadership position of trust and mentorship which we have as pastors, administrators, and medical personnel.

After this meeting I travel to Freetown for the evening.

No comments: